Workshop to educate couples on Social Security in Amherst
Thursday, June 12, 2014
AMHERST – An educational workshop titled “Savvy Social Security Planning for Couples” has been scheduled from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, June 18, at the Souhegan Valley Chamber of Commerce office, 69 New Hampshire 101A, Amherst.
The workshop is hosted by Mike Bonacorsi, a certified financial planner professional.
The Social Security decisions spouses make when they are in their 60s will determine the amount of total income they will receive over their lifetime – including the lifetime of the spouse who lives the longest. This workshop will cover some little-known rules that can help married couples get more out of the Social Security system.
This workshop will cover:
• How much Social Security you and your spouse stand to receive over your joint lifetime.
• Rules and guidelines for when spouses should apply for benefits.
• How the decisions you make in your 60s can determine the amount of income you – or your surviving spouse – will have in your 80s and 90s.
• How spouses with little or no prior earnings can take advantage of Social Security benefits.
• How a little-known rule passed in 2000 has opened the door to creative spousal strategies.
• The No. 1 thing all higher-earning spouses should do.
• Two key things you need to know about Social Security survivor benefits.
• How remarriage affects survivor benefits from a former spouse.
• How to avoid mistakes at your Social Security office.
This workshop is primarily for married couples as it discusses Social Security benefits available to spouses.
Seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Individuals may reserve space by calling Mike Bonacorsi at 769-3111.