Bedford Memorial Tree shines brightly for 70th year
For nearly 70 years, Bedford has had a fir tree dedicated as a living memorial to our community’s men and women who have served in the armed forces. And, thanks to volunteers of the Bedford Garden Club John Herper and Donna Guibord (community gardens chairperson), it is traditionally trimmed with clear lights and shining brightly for the holiday season in December through the first week of January. The Town Memorial Tree is located in front of the Bedford Presbyterian Church at the intersection of Bedford Center Road and Church Road for all passersby to enjoy.
While the first memorial tree was planted at the suggestion of Mrs. Harry Blood, president of the Bedford Garden Club (1937-38), it wasn’t until 1947 that a fir tree was dedicated as a living memorial to those serving in the armed forces. As one of the Garden Club’s community gardens, the memorial tree (and its many replacements) has been conscientiously cared for over the years, first in front of Town Hall, then in front of the library, and currently in front of the Bedford Presbyterian Church. Since 2005, John Herper has steadfastly cared for the fir tree at this location.
For more information about the Bedford Garden Club, its community gardens and programs, please visit www.bedfordgardenclubnh.org or write to the Bedford Garden Club, 3 Meetinghouse Road, Bedford, NH 03110.
– Submitted by Bedford Garden Club