Bedford Garden Club Lights Memorial Tree
Each holiday season, the glowing lights on Bedford’s Memorial Tree remind us of our men and women who have served in the armed forces. Thanks to the efforts of Bedford Garden Club members John Herper and Kathy Nelson (Community Gardens Chairperson), the Town Memorial Tree has been trimmed with clear lights. It now shines brightly in front of the Bedford Presbyterian Church at the intersection of Bedford Center Road and Church Road. Passersby can see the lights from early December through the first week of January.
For over 70 years, the Bedford Garden Club has carried on the tradition of the lighted fir tree. While the first memorial tree was planted at the suggestion of Mrs. Harry Blood (club president from 1937-38), it wasn’t until 1947 that a fir tree was dedicated as a living memorial to those serving in the armed forces. As one of the club’s community gardens, the memorial tree was first located in front of the Town Hall and is now sited in front of the Presbyterian Church. John Herper has pruned and maintained the fir tree at this location since 2005.
For more information about the Bedford Garden Club, its community gardens and educational programs, please visit www.bedfordnhgardenclub.org or write to the Bedford Garden Club, 3 Meetinghouse Road, Bedford, NH 03110.