Small chemical spill closes Milford High front entrance area Tuesday afternoon

MILFORD – An area around the front door to Milford High School was cordoned off Tuesday, Dec. 17, after a small amount of spilled hydrochloric acid began giving off fumes and a strong odor, officials said.

Fire Chief Jack Kelly said the acid was in a package being delivered to the school’s chemistry department. The container apparently broke, causing the spillage, he added.

Principal Brad Craven said moisture from the falling snow apparently caused the spilled acid to give off the fumes.

He said he contacted the fire and police departments immediately, and a short time later, officials requested Nashua Fire Rescue’s hazmat team to the scene.

The spillage was eventually neutralized, put into a large drum and brought to a fenced-in area behind the school. Kelly said a team from Clean Harbors Environmental Services will come Wednesday morning and remove the drum. Craven sent out an alert around 1:30 p.m., describing the incident as “a very small chemical spill – package broken on delivery – in the main entry area outside” and assuring students and parents not to worry when they see the yellow caution tape and police cruiser.

Meanwhile, officials dismissed school early because of the snowstorm, Craven said. The front entrance area was cordoned off while the situation was being taken care of, he said.