Cold temperatures make fighting blaze at Mont Vernon home difficult; home uninhabitable

MONT VERNON – An early morning fire erupted Saturday, Jan. 4, in a 1½-story home in Mont Vernon that was apparently caused by the chimney pipe from a wood stove.

Nobody was injured by the fire at 3 Twin Maple Lane, although firefighters faced problems battling a blaze when the official thermometer on the town fire station read 13 degrees below zero, said Fire Chief Jay Wilson.

“We had a couple of hand lines freeze up, a supply line freeze up; probably half the apparatus there had freezing issues,” he said.

The fire left the house uninhabitable because of a hole in the ceiling.

The family was sleeping when one member woke up and saw the pipe from the basement wood stove glowing in the kitchen and realized there was a fire in the attic, Wilson said. They called 911 shortly before 5 a.m.

The fire appears to have started in the attic, Wilson said. The Mont Vernon crew entered the stairwell to the attic space as attic windows were vented, pushing the fire out, he said.

Most of the fire was put out by 6 a.m., and crews remained on scene “extinguishing small pockets of fire until 9:30 (a.m.),” Wilson said.

Several neighboring towns provided mutual aid, including Amherst, Milford, Lyndeborough and Wilton.

Red Cross assisted the three adults and two dogs who were displaced, giving referrals to partnering agencies for long-term recovery needs.