Flames damage historic Temple landmark

TEMPLE – A historic landmark known as the General Miller House, which dates back more than 250 years, sustained significant damage in a three-alarm fire the afternoon of Saturday, Feb. 15, officials told The Associated Press.

The rambling colonial structure at 242 General Miller Highway in Temple currently houses Herban Living B&B, a bed-and-breakfast surrounded by 150 acres of forest and farmland.

Officials told the AP that the fire was apparently caused by a problem with an oil heater in the basement of a house next door to the General Miller House.

WMUR-TV reported that flames spread to the bed-and-breakfast from the house where the fire started. It took crews close to three hours to extinguish the fire in both buildings.

Officials said nobody was at either building when flames broke out around 2:30 p.m. The bed-and-breakfast is closed for the time being, they said.

No injuries were reported.

– DEAN SHALHOUP