Amherst man burned while volunteering at iron melt in Nashua

NASHUA – The May 3 Iron Pour Workshop, hosted by the Nashua International Sculpture Symposium at Ultima Nimco in the Millyard in Nashua, took a dramatic turn when a master sculptor was severely burned by molten iron.

Joseph Montroy, of Amherst, was clearing clotted liquid iron from a cupola when molten iron sprayed on his right leg in front of a crowd, according to witnesses.

Montroy said the molten iron, which is heated to more than 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, dripped between his boot and his pants and flowed down to his foot.

Montroy said the molten iron burned through his protective apron, his pants and his boot, setting his clothes on fire and searing his foot.

Ward 8 Alderman Mary Ann Melizzi-Golja, who was attending the event, stood by Montroy as he held his injured foot in a large bucket of water and encouraged the sculptor to call for an ambulance. Montroy refused.

Montroy’s right foot appeared seriously burned, but for several minutes Montroy said he wasn’t in much pain.

However, roughly five minutes after Montroy sustained the burn, he announced, “I’m starting to feel it now.”

Montroy was volunteering at the Iron Pour Workshop, which allows people to create their own distinctive mold of cast iron and bring it home for $35.

Montroy, whose nickname is “The Iron Man,” was in charge of pouring the molds and maintaining the cupola at Saturday’s event.

Bradford Randall can be reached at 594-6557 or brandall@nashuatelegraph.com. Also, follow Randall on Twitter (@telegraph_bradr).