2-alarm fire in Amherst damages top floor of home

AMHERST – An historic house on Christian Hill Road in Amherst was damaged by a fire that went to two alarms the morning of May 9.

Homeowner Joy Olson said she smelled smoke sometime in the mid-morning and called 911 and Amherst Fire Department responded quickly.

Olson said the first floor is still livable and damage was confined to the second floor. Restoration specialists were at work before noon.

The large Victorian-styled house at 85 Christian Hill Road was built in 1910 by Harold Wilkins, she said, the grandfather of Tom Wilkins, owner of Wilkins Lumber in Milford.

Olson said she has no idea about how the fire started and could have been electrical.

Amherst Fire Chief Mark Boynton could not be reached for comment.