Amherst, Milford, Mont Vernon town museums all open at the same time Saturday
Fans of Souhegan Valley history and folks looking for something different to do during a Saturday drive have a new option this summer: The history museums in Mont Vernon, Amherst and Milford will all be open at the same time.
From 2-4 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month through September, including this Saturday, June 14, you can visit the Milford Museum at the Carey House, 6 Union St., the Wigwam and Chapel museums on the Amherst village common, and the Mont Vernon Museum on the second floor of Town Hall, 2 S. Main St. (Route 13). All are free, staffed by volunteer docents who can answer questions.
The communities have a lot of overlapping early history – Milford separated from Amherst in 1794 and Mont Vernon separated from Amherst in 1802 – as well as more recent history, since for decades they were together in Milford AREA High School until 1992. But they also have plenty of their own stories to tell, from the Milford mills to the Amherst courthouse to the grand hotels of Mont Vernon.
Make a day of it on June 14, July 12, Aug. 9 or Sept. 13. The Carey House opens at 2 p.m., while the Amherst and Mont Vernon museums open at 1 p.m. All stay open until 4 p.m.
The Carey House in Milford is also open from 2-4 p.m. the second Sunday of each month and from 9-11 a.m. the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. Amherst’s museums are open during the July 4 festivities and the town’s Antiques on the Green event.
For more information:
Historical Society of Amherst: www.hsanh.org/
Milford Historical Society: www.milfordhistory.com/
Mont Vernon Historical Society, under Organizations on the website: www.montvernonnh.us/index.php/188-organizations/