Local grads announced

MANCHESTER – Head of School Mary Halpin Carter is pleased to announce that the following students from Amherst graduated from The Derryfield School in the Class of 2014 at Commencement Exercises in June.

Sierra Smith, daughter of Christopher and Heather Smith, graduated from The Derryfield School and will be attending Northeastern University in the fall where she plans to study neuroscience/ pre-med to follow her dream of finding new and innovative treatments for autism and related conditions. Ever the scientist, Sierra was a four year member of the Medical Club, and won the Barbara J. Stahl, Ph.D. Life Science Award in her senior year. She also won the 2014 award for Chinese, was a National Honor Society member and received a Kimberly L. Cates Memorial Scholarship. As an athlete, some of the sports Sierra enjoyed during high school included softball, field hockey and crew. This summer, Sierra will be working as an educational aide at Beaver Brook Association, assisting autistic children and their families.

Cory Greer, daughter of Anne Greer and the late Boyce Greer, graduated from The Derryfield School with distinction and will be attending the University of Southern California in the fall. Cory started her high school career as president of her freshman class and ended it as a 2014 National Merit Commended Scholar. In the intervening years, Cory pursued a variety of activities, including three years with the Anti-Defamation League/World of Difference Peer Training, two years as the manager of the boys’ varsity lacrosse team and three years practicing yoga. Cory was also a member of the Conservation Club, Women’s Empowerment Group and the Outing Club.

Brianna Peregrine Smith, daughter of Carroll-Ann Goldsmith of Amherst, and Lavern Smith of Boston, Mass., graduated from The Derryfield School and will be attending the University of New Hampshire in the fall. A talented artist, Brianna won an Honorable Mention in tenth grade and a Silver Key in twelfth grade from the NH Art Educators’ Association in the NH Scholastic Art contest and was a member of the Art Club at school. Brianna also kept busy as a Derryfield Player, participating as a cast member in a number of school productions and as a part of the Mock Trial team, which came in second at the Yale Invitational her junior year. In addition, she was a National Merit Outstanding Participant, and layout editor for the school newspaper, the Lamplighter, in her senior year.

Taylor Huxtable, daughter of Michelle Huxtable, graduated from The Derryfield School and will be attending Fordham University this fall. A talented athlete, Taylor was a four year member of the soccer team, three of them at the varsity level. She made the Division IV All Scholastic Soccer team and was a NH Athletic Directors’ Association Scholar Athlete her senior year. Taylor was also a member of the tennis team, three years on varsity. Service-oriented, Taylor spent four years participating with Breakthrough Super Saturday, and three years with the Amnesty International Chapter. She also acted as an advancement ambassador and admission tour guide, worked on the school newspaper, Lamplighter, and was a crew member for school theater productions.