Amherst student admits to fake bomb scare

A middle school student admitted leaving a message on a classroom chalk board last week stating there is a bomb in the building.

The male student said he left the message as a hoax, according to Amherst Police Chief Mark Reams.

Amherst Middle School was evacuated around 8:45 a.m. on Friday, March 27, and local fire and police personnel responded. When nothing was found, state police came with a canine trained in searching for explosives. Within an hour of the threat being discovered the student admitted the hoax, Reams said.

The quick resolution came about because students came forward to talk to school resource officer Michael Knox, he said.

Reams said there was not much more he could say because of the student’s young age. The middle school has grade 5 through eight, so students are generally between 10 and 13 years old.

Students walked to Souhegan High School where they were dismissed for the day.

– KATHY CLEVELAND