Medical center evacuates over gas leak

Patients and staff of Milford Medical Center were evacuated Friday afternoon, Aug. 7, be­cause of a gas leak.

The incident occurred around 3 p.m. and Mil­ford fire and police de­partments responded to the Nashua Street urgent care center and natural gas was shut off to the building.

About an hour later ev­eryone was let back into the building.

"It appears that some­one banging a sign into the ground hit a gas line," said Milford Fire Chief Jack Kelly at the scene.

Liberty Utilities re­ported that natural gas would likely be restored before 7 p.m.