Killer Guay back behind bars in Florida

MELBOURNE, Fla. – Seven years after he was released from prison for the 1973 abduction and murder of 12-year-old Nashua boy John Lindovski, a now 67-year-old Raymond A. Guay Jr. is back behind prison walls, this time in a Florida facility where he will spend at least four years of a 5-year sentence handed down Monday, Aug. 17, at the Brevard County Courthouse.

Guay, whose 2008 release stirred public outcry and led to his banishment from a Manchester rooming house, ended up living with a Chichester minister and his family until the minister’s neighbors demanded he be relocated from the rural town outside of Concord.

He eventually landed in Florida, where he was arrested in November following an attempted theft from a Dollar Tree store in the Brevard County town of Rockledge. Guay was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and one count each of theft and carrying a concealed weapon.

Court spokeswoman Lynn Hooper said Tuesday that Guay was found guilty at trial of one of the aggravated assault charges and the concealed weapon charge, but was acquitted on the other aggravated assault charge as well as the theft charge.

Few people have been following Guay’s case as closely as has Charlotte Davis, who still struggles with losing her 12-year-old son John Lindovski at the hands of Guay some 42 years ago.

"I guess I should be relieved … at least I’ll know where he is for the next few years," Davis said from her Colorado home. "They said the prosecutor had asked for 10 years, but it seems he was sentenced (to five years) because of his age."

That theory doesn’t sit well with Davis, who said she was also told that the Florida judge may not have had all the necessary paperwork in front of him when he sentenced Guay on Monday. "When I called to ask why they kept postponing (Guay’s sentencing), they said they were still waiting for more documents from New Hampshire," she said.

Davis said her brother, who happens to live within 20 minutes of the courthouse, has attended each of Guay’s hearings and was present Aug. 17. He told Davis that it didn’t seem the judge "had all the necessary paperwork" before him for the sentencing.

The circumstances of her son’s death and the excruciating, month-long wait until his body was found have haunted Davis and other family members over the years.

She clearly recalls the day her son didn’t come home following an after-school dance, and how her anxiety grew with each passing hour. That was Feb. 9, 1973, a Friday afternoon that quickly turned to night with no word on the sixth-grader’s whereabouts.

The break came a month later, on March 11, when members of the Lone Pine Hunters Club in Hollis discovered John Lindovski’s body buried in snow as they cleared land on the property.

It turned out that Guay picked up Lindovski and drove him to Hollis, where he assaulted the boy, struck him in the head for trying to escape, shot him in the eye and fled the scene.

Then-N.H. Attorney General Warren B. Rudman called the crime "a brutal, cold-blooded" killing, and that Guay showed "absolutely no remorse." Rudman noted that Guay was implicated in a very similar incident in August 1968, in which he beat up and threatened a 15-year-old boy at the same Hollis location – but was never prosecuted.

Dean Shalhoup can be reached at 594-6443, dshalhoup@nashua or @Telegraph_DeanS.