Accused Peterborough gunman killed by police

> MILFORD – A terrified woman who came into the Milford Agway on Elm Street on the morning of Tuesday, June 21, appar­ently had been threat­ened by Lane Lesko, the 19-year-old man who was later shot by police in Pe­terborough.

The woman bolted into the store that morning and was hysterical, man­ager Butch Green said.

Employees immediate­ly called police, who re­sponded and interviewed the woman in a store of­fice. The woman report­edly was threatened with a gun and told to leave her car.

"Later, we heard about the incident in Peterbor­ough," Green said.

Lesko, a resident of Ann Arbor, Mich., died during an armed confrontation with police the morning of June 21 after he report­edly disappeared over the weekend from a group camping trip in Maine.

State First Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin said an autopsy conducted by state chief medical examiner Thom­as A. Andrew confirmed Lesko died of a single gun­shot wound.

Andrew ruled Lesko’s death a homicide, Strel­zin said, adding that the circumstances surround­ing the events leading up to the confrontation with police and the subse­quent shooting remain under investigation.

It wasn’t clear that it was related to the fatal shooting, but New Hamp­shire State Police issued a regional "be on the lookout" advisory around 9:30 a.m. for a black BMW driven by an individual they described as armed and dangerous.

The bulletin mentioned that the car was carry­ing dealer license plates belonging to an Amherst Street dealership in Nashua.

The original BOLO said the vehicle was report­edly spotted in the vicin­ity of Elm Street in Mil­ford, but Milford police declined to confirm the report or provide addi­tional information.

"I can’t release any­thing yet because it’s the attorney general’s inves­tigation," Milford Police Capt. Shawn Pelletier said Monday.

Strelzin and police on Tuesday said the confron­tation, which took place just before 10:30 a.m. on Route 136, or Greenfield Road, in the area of Sun­nyfield Farm, came at the end of "a brief (police) pursuit" that entered Pe­terborough from Green­field.

Various news reports on media websites indi­cate Lesko has a history of criminal activity dating back more than a year.

He had recently plead­ed guilty in Washtenaw County court in Michigan to charges of car theft, first-degree home inva­sion and impersonating an FBI agent, according to the Ann Arbor-based website

But a judge delayed Lesko’s sentencing until early next year to allow him to complete mental health and substance abuse treatment pro­grams, according to the website.

New Hampshire Fish & Game officials said in a Monday statement that Lesko was last seen in Magalloway Plantation, Maine, around 3 a.m. Sunday. He was part of a camping/canoeing trip organized by Summit Achievement, a residen­tial treatment program for youths ages 13-20.

The group, officials said, was camping at a re­mote site at nearby Um­bagog Lake State Park. Lesko’s disappearance was reported to Maine State Police, who enlisted the assistance of fish and game officers in a search of the area and the lake, a sizable body of water that straddles the New Hampshire-Maine state line about 30 miles south of the Canadian border.

Later, officials said, a boater reported seeing an overturned canoe near where Lesko was last seen, and shortly there­after a camper called po­lice from the state park reporting his truck had been stolen during the night.

Police then received a report that a pontoon boat had been stolen not far from where Lesko was last seen.