Fire destroys 150-year-old Lyndeborough home

LYNDEBOROUGH – Flames gutted a 150-year-old home on Forest Road near the center of town on Sunday morning, June 18, forcing its occupants to flee with their pets but resulting in no injuries.

The owner, former Lyndeborough Selectman Lorraine Strube, said at the scene that the fire started in the basement toward the front of the house. Strube, whose son, Adam Crosby, also lives in the house, said both were able to escape safely.

The fire was called in around 10:30 a.m., and crews arrived within minutes, witnesses said.

As Lyndeborough firefighters began setting up equipment and ladders to fight the blaze, officials requested mutual aid from neighboring towns. Fire Chief Brian Smith said in a press release that Wilton, Greenfield, Milford, Francestown, New Boston, Peterborough and Mont Vernon responded, with WLT Ambulance on the scene and New Ipswich covering the Lyndeborough station. The Wilton, New Boston and Francestown police provided traffic and crowd control.

Smith said the house was occupied by two adults, multiple dogs and cats, and one hamster, and that all animals also made it out of the home unharmed.

The two-story dwelling received heavy fire in the front first and second floor, Smith said, along with heavy smoke damage throughout the building.

Smith said the cause of fire was ruled accidental, with a possible cause of faulty wiring in between two walls.

The home, which dates to the 1850s, sits between the Village Store and the intersection of Forest and Citizens Hall roads. It once housed the town post office, as well as a variety store and ice cream parlor.

Strube said that she, her son and their pets received offers of assistance with temporary housing, and that they also have family in the area.

COMMENTS