Club to raise funds for Brick School window restoration
AMHERST – The Amherst Village Questers have chosen the ongoing restoration of Brick School as their project this year.
The club will raise funds for the restoration of a window in the center of the foyer, which is visible from the exterior. Fundraising will begin with the sale of packs of notecards on the Village Green from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday, July 4.
The cards are six to a pack. They cost $12 per pack, or $10 each if you buy three.
There is a total of 18 photos, taken by eight Amherst photographers, that feature Amherst views, landscapes and farmyards.
The school has been undergoing restoration since 2004. A long-term project by the Heritage Commission is assisting the superintendent’s office in renovating the interior of the building to make it into a more usable space to hold meetings, display historic artifacts and make it more accessible to the public.
The window chosen by the Questers is the six-over-six original to the building. One glass pane is missing and needs period glass. The window will be restored to the style of the mid-19th century. The cost of the project is estimated at about $600.
The Heritage Commission project also includes the two front doors. So far, the front porch and side porch entrance have been restored, along with the addition of the brick sidewalk, benches, swing set and landscaping in the front yard.
Brick School was built in 1854, enlarged “seamlessly” in 1901 and a porch added in 1925. It served as a public school for 113 years until 1967, and then as a private kindergarten until 1997. It is currently used as the superintendent’s office for SAU 39.
The Questers are in international organization dedicated to historic preservation. The Villagers chapter was formed in 1975. For more information about the project, email email@example.com.
– Submitted by Amherst Village Questers