Tour of the Gould-Emerson-Worcester House in Hollis set for Sept. 12
The Gould- Emerson-Worcester House at 28 Main St. in Hollis will hold a tour from 1-5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, in an event sponsored by the Hollis Historical Society.
This historic home is a "Lived in Museum." The brick-end Federal period dwelling was built from 1806-08 by Ambrose Gould, with a framework constructed of massive hand-hewn rafters and fastened together with wooden pegs.
The house was originally the home of the first Hollis post office, plus a store, as well as living quarters. A license for keeping a tavern was issued to Gould in 1806. He was the postmaster from 1818-30.
The post office was on the north end of the first floor, with tri-weekly mail delivered by stagecoach that ran between Groton, Mass., and Amherst. Goods for the store/tavern were brought from Boston by an ox team.
Edward Emerson kept the store from the 1830s until 1860, and was postmaster from 1845-54. In 1875, the house was purchased by the Worcester brothers, of Hollis, and today is owned by a sixth-generation descendant.
The Gould-Emerson House is steeped in history and filled with historical artifacts pertaining to Hollis. Listen to beautiful flute duets as you tour the more than 10 rooms filled with antiques, Revolutionary War items, equestrian antiques and collectibles.
After the tour, wander into the backyard, check out the fairy gardens and then enjoy wine, cider and hors d’oeurves served under a tent.
Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door. Tickets are tax-deductible because they benefit the Hollis Historical Society.
Tickets are available at the Wheeler House on Main Street, which is open from 1-4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, and at the Always Ready Engine House and Wheeler House Museum, which are open from 1-4 p.m. on the first and third Sundays of the month.
Tickets also are available by calling 465-2884 or 882- 4087.