Teams forming for NH Race for the Cure

PORTSMOUTH – The race is on – or it’s about to be – so mark those calendars.

The fourth annual Komen New Hampshire Race for the Cure to benefit breast cancer education, training and screening in New Hampshire and Vermont will be held Saturday, May 9, in Portsmouth.

The event, a 5K run or walk, will start and finish at the Strawbery Banke Museum. Now is the time to form or join a team at komenvtnh.org/nhrace.

Teams play a huge role in the race, as their members, from as few as two to as many as possible, run and walk to acknowledge and honor the survivorship and/or memory of a loved one. At the 2014 race, 58 teams raised $50,000. And while teams are fun, individual participants are always welcome and encouraged to register.

Each year, Strawbery Banke and the race course through historic downtown Portsmouth becomes a sea of colorful T-shirts as team members wear their colors, names and logos and vie for top fundraising honors. Up to 75 percent of all money raised underwrites breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs in New Hampshire and Vermont – $350,000 last year alone – while the remaining 25 percent is dedicated to breast cancer research.

Team categories include Corporate, Friends and Family, School/University and Community. The team captain registers and names the team, either at komenvtnh.org/nhrace or through a downloadable paper registration. Once the team is registered, others may join online (members need not participate in the same event; they may either walk or run).

There is no additional fee to form a team. It’s $35 for runners and walkers, $30 for survivors and $20 for children younger than 12. Even “virtual runners,’ those who can’t make it to the race but still want to take part, can join a team and fundraise for $30.

For more information about teams or anything else to do with the Komen New Hampshire Race for the Cure, call 1-802-362-2733 or 1-617-501-2728, or visit komenvtnh.org/nhrace.

For more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure, breast health or breast cancer, visit komen.org or call 1-877-465-6636.