Fitness event in Hollis on Nov. 1 to raise funds for MMRF
HOLLIS – A local team will be putting together a unique family-friendly event to raise funds for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation.
Multiple myeloma is an incurable blood cancer that is diagnosed in more than 20,000 new patients every year. There is no cure, and with the help of the MMRF, the five-year survival rate has increased from 28 percent in 1998 to 43 percent today with the assistance of six FDA-approved drugs, 350 research grants, 48 clinical trials and 24 new treatments studied.
Ninety percent of every dollar raised by the MMRF goes directly to research and related programming. It has been rated by Charity Navigator as a four-star charity for 11 years.
The event, to be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 1, at Pure Life Fitness, 265B Proctor Hill Road, Hollis, will be a physical challenge that is geared toward individuals and teams who like to compete in fitness classes or events such as boot camp, TRX, crossfit, kickboxing and other nontraditional fitness events, such as obstacle course racing. No experience is necessary, and those 12 and older can compete for prizes.
Individuals and teams of three will compete against each other in six main events. The events were designed to be completed by those with all levels of fitness capability, but be challenging enough for the competitive athletes.
There will be winners in these categories: Adult Male (16 and older), Adult Female (16 and older), Kids (12-16) and Team (Adult/Kid).
The events are:
1. Timed Bucket Carry with Wind Sprint – Carry a bucket (filled with rocks) a fixed distance, put it down, sprint back to the start, sprint back to the bucket, carry the bucket back to the finish line.
2. Timed Farmer Carry – Walk/run and carry a weight in each arm (down to your side) a fixed distance and return to the finish line.
3. Timed Sled Pull – Pull a sled with weights a fixed distance from a stationary standing/seated position.
4. Hoist – Lift a sandbag 15 feet off the ground with a rope over a pulley as many times as possible in one minute.
5. Rope Climb – Climb a 15-foot rope and ring the bell as many times as possible in one minute.
6. Tire Flip – Flip a truck tire as many times as possible in one minute.
Weights will vary by category. Individuals will compete in all six events, and the best score wins.
Teams will compete in all six events, and each member will pick their best two scores and the scores will be combined. The total score wins.
Individual registration is $10. Teams of three are $25.
For more information, visit www.purelifefitnessnh.com/team-events/mmrf-fundraiser.