Camp Allen wishes to thank Bedford organizations

To the Editor:

Another year has passed and during this season of thanksgiving, gratitude, and hope we would like to take a moment to thank you for all that you do for our campers and Camp Allen. Our neighbors and friends are very important to us and we send blessings and good cheer your way.

We have so many friends in Bedford who give of their time and money and I would like all of you to know just what your gifts mean to us. I cannot thank all the individuals and families by name as there are so many! Thank you for all you do to support our campers, it means so much!

Several years ago the Bedford Rotary decided to adopt the office at Camp Allen as an annual project. Since then they have made much needed repairs that include replacing clapboard, replacing all the outside skirting with cement board and adding insulation. Just recently the floors were sanded and refinished and new windows replaced very very old windows in the building. The Bedford Rotary also gave a large donation to the Ami Goodwin Adopt a Camper program to assist those campers that do not have the financial means to come to camp.This club truly lives the Rotary motto of “Service above self”.

The Boy Scout Troops 414 and 5 continue to be very generous and help with all those smaller (and sometime big) projects that never seem to make it to the top of the priority list but are just as important to us. Since my time here at Camp Allen more than 20 projects have been completed by Scouts achieving Eagle Scout status. More recently the Girl Scouts have worked on and completed Silver and Gold Awards by completing projects at Camp Allen. Some of the projects include swings, campfire improvements, music day at Camp Allen, pavilion, wetlands path and signage, raised bed gardens, picnic tables and benches and so much more. Thank you for making all these improvements that enhance our campers camping experience. We look forward to watching you grow into adults who understand the importance of giving.

Each summer the children from several of the religious education classes at St. Elizabeth Seton spend time with our campers participating in activities. They also come bearing gifts to add to what is often a depleted arts and crafts supply! And as an added bonus of few of those children and teens have so much fun that they ask if they can spend more time as volunteers!! (and we hope future counselors). The Knights of Columbus members at St. Elizabeth Seton have been very generous in giving proceeds from the Tootsie Roll sales to Camp Allen’s campership program and many of their membership have made in-kind and other donations to camp. Thank you all for having such giving hearts!

The Bedford Men’s Club has generously given to Camp Allen in the past and this year made a large donation of money to purchase trees, shrubs, and plants for Camp Allen’s new Sensory Garden. We invite everyone to come see this beautiful garden in the spring!

The last few year’s young teens and their families from the Coalition of Bedford Youth have spent a Saturday at Camp Allen, cleaning up after the summer season. This year, they braved the very rainy weather and did a great job cleaning for us, thank you so much!

The students, staff, and families of Ross A. Lurgio have donated money the past two years to Camp Allen from proceeds from the Witch Way to the 5K Road Race held at Halloween. The donation is used to purchase supplies for the very busy camp season. Thanks so much to the our friends at the Middle School.

The residents at Ridgewood Center continue to donate starter plants each spring for our gardens and we love have them come each summer for their annual picnic and tour.

I want to finish by naming two businesses that have helped us here at Camp Allen for many years. They are Keller Williams and Frizz Home Gardens. Each May, Keller Williams employees come in great numbers to spend a day (Keller Williams Red Day) at camp helping with the opening of camp. This is hard work and without their commitment there would be much that couldn’t be done. Howard Frizzell, owner of Frizz Home Gardens, has been donating plants and giving great advice to Camp Allen for years and we are grateful to him for his generous heart.

We love our Bedford friends and neighbors. Thank you all so much for all you do. We are truly lucky and blessed that in their wisdom, more than 83 years ago, the Boston Lions Club (founders) decided to make Bedford NH the home of Camp Allen.

Mary Constance, Executive Director

Deb Schulte, Office Manager

Michael Constance, Camp Director

www.campallennh.org

Bedford