Thumbing the Files for Oct. 24

100 years ago, 1913

John J. Erwin of Milford was painfully burned in a powder explosion at the Lovejoy quarry. Two blasts had failed to do the work, and he was scattering powder in the crack that had been opened. A smoldering spark caused the powder to flash in his face.

A new steel fire escape was being installed at Milford High School at a cost of about $1,000.

Several people from Milford attended the Dartmouth-Princetown football game in New Jersey.

The Souhegan Grange in Amherst observed Neighbor’s Night.

On a telephone complaint from the Bittinger farm, Police Chief Goodwin and F.E. Cooley, of Milford, went out in an automobile and arrested Joseph King who was charged with being drunk and disorderly.

The Wilton woolen mill was being wired for electric lights.

It was said that local carpenters in Wilton had all the work they could do and were refusing new jobs.

70 years ago, 1943

Harry E. Tostevin resigned as Milford police chief after holding the post for more than a year.

The cost of living in the U.S. was 6 percent higher in 1943 than in the previous year.

C.A. Wheeler of Milford was selling dressed pullets for 40 cents a pound.

Hundreds of Flying Fortresses, escorted by speedy Thunderbolt fighters, delivered a hard blow to the Nazis’ huge roller-bearing plant in Schweinfurt, Germany, as Allied forces crossed the swollen Volturno River in southern Italy under the cover of heavy artillery fire. Meanwhile, Italy, after overthrowing Mussolina, declared war on Germany.

Hundreds of Liberator and Mitchell bombers poured 350 tons of bombs on Rabaul in the South Pacific, leaving that important Japanese supply depot for their entire Southwest Pacific front, smoking in ruins.

50 years ago, 1963

The state designated Milford as a location for a district court and urged Amherst and Wilton municipal courts to merge with it.

The Milford PTA was planning a program to explain “new math.”

Milford Police Chief Duane B. Rockwell urged trick or treaters to keep Halloween to just one night, Oct. 31, and warned, “We are going to be forced to take a very dim view of anyone who tries to carry Halloween over” to a second night.

Our Lyndeborough correspondent, Mrs. Ray P. Bishop, wrote that the water situation in the town was getting serious because of a drought. “Many have been out of water for six weeks. Wells and springs that have never been known to go dry before have gone dry this fall.”

Milford High School defeated Wilton, 3-1, in boys soccer. Glenn Aborn had two goals for Milford, Dennis Bosse had one.

The Wilton Police Association voted to buy a tear gas gun for the police department.

25 years ago, 1988

The Pine Hill Waldorf School in Wilton was destroyed by a night time fire caused by the spontaneous combustion of oil-soaked rags left in a construction trash pile. It was the second time a Pine Hill school had been destroyed by fire. The first was in 1983 when the school was located in Wilton Center. The building destroyed this time was on Abbot Hill Road, where it is today.

Earle T. Fitch, of Milford, was president of the Hillsborough County Farm Bureau. Ben Holt of Wilton was elected a director of the organization.

Amherst Middle School Assistant Principal Paul Tumas was appointed to act as principal for the remainder of the school year after Principal Paul Collins received a leave of absence.

Marcia Houck stepped down from her post as chief of the Amherst Rescue Squad.

The Amherst Community Players were preparing to stage “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” Steve Logan was cast as Charlie.

The Bump ‘n’ Grinder restaurant at 8 South St., Milford, welcomed “Chef Aunt Chilada” introducing its new Mexican fare.

The Milford Area Senior High girls’ soccer team clinched first place in Class L with a 1-0 win over Nashua.

Richard Rose was named producing director of Milford’s American Stage Festival.