Milford site has seen changes in use

100 years ago, 1914

Edward Gilson, son of the Rev. and Mrs. R.R. Gilson, of Milford, who had been suffering with tonsillitis, developed a mild case of scarlet fever and the family was quarantined.

The temperature one day dropped to between 18 and 28 degrees below zero in Milford.

Margaret Frye, of West Wilton, was knocked unconscious while sledding after school when she ran into a telephone pole.

William H. Abbott, of South Lyndeborough, slipped on the ice and dislocated his shoulder. Dr. Mascott, of Keene, set it.

In Wilton, fire officials placed a hose wagon in the Town Hall annex. In case the central fire station caught fire, they would have had something to fight that fire with.

In Wilton, a man was put off the train, and after he left the train, he went up the track, took off his coat, vest and sweater and left them beside a telegraph pole and walked up the track some more, then came down the road. It was a cold night. Later, he was taken to Milford in a stable team. No one knew who he was, but it was thought he had too much booze.

70 years ago, 1944

The Bemis Brothers Bag Co. in East Pepperell, Mass., was advertising for men and women for essential war work and offering good pay, automatic increases and a 48-hour week.

In Russia, fighting raged on two widely separated sectors of the 800-mile Russian front, with the Reds fanning out below Leningrad in the north, and the Nazis counterattacking to strengthen their position 80 miles from the Rumanian boarder in the south.

The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “You’re a Lucky Fellow Mr. Smith” with Allan Jones and Evelyn Ankers.

Ellen D. Farwell, a WAVE from Brookline, was promoted to aviation machinist’s mate second class. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Grover Farwell.

The U.S. War Department received many letters from ministers and private families suggesting that, instead of sending casualty messages by telegram to bereaved families, they be sent to a committee of pastors in each community, one of whom would deliver the message and seek to soften the blow of tragic news.

50 years ago, 1964

At Town Meeting in March, Milford voters would be asked to decide on whether the town should build a municipal swimming pool. The most likely site was said to be in the huge Keyes Memorial Field.

Protestant women in Milford, Amherst and Mont Vernon were invited to attend the World Day of Prayer ceremonies at the Amherst Congregational Church.

The Goldwater for President committee cochairmen for Milford – Kenneth Maymon and Mrs. Donald Everett – planned a coffee hour but no speaker had been named.

Robert Philbrick, of Milford, chairman of the Kennedy-Johnson Dinner, announced that Sen. Edmund S. Muskie, of Maine, would be the guest speaker.

Wilton twins Carl and Carlene Boutwell celebrated their 16th birthday with a party at the Odd Fellows Hall.

25 years ago, 1988

Milford Taxi went out of business, leaving many people feeling stranded because there was no other public transportation in town.

Running for one three-year term on the Milford Board of Selectmen were Wesley Stinson, Kenneth Nelligan, John Burke and May Gaffney. Running for one two-year seat were Peter Leishman and Kevin Taylor.

Laura Hamlin won the Spelling Bee at Milford’s Jacques Elementary School.

The Amherst PTA cancelled its Winter Carnival because of the lack of snow. It was to be the PTA’s first such carnival.

The Town Hall Theatre in Wilton was showing “Working Girl” and “Lair of the White Worm.”

Glenn Eldridge and Reginald Wetherall were vying for one selectman’s seat in Lyndeborough.

Jon Francis, of Amherst, a senior at Milford Area Senior High, led a successful drive to get the sport of bicycle racing accepted as a club at the school.

The trustees of the Milford Home for the Aged voted to change the name to the Pillsbury Home.