Water under the Milford stone bridge

100 years ago, 1914

Snowshoeing was said to be a favorite pasttime over the hills and dales of Mont Vernon.

Many attended the military ball in Lyndeborough with music by the Nevers Orchestra, of Concord. It was reported that the splendid concert that would have been immensely enjoyed by all lovers of music was spoiled by loud conversation carried on by people in the back of the room.

George S. Proctor, of Wilton, while going to his work, fell on the slippery sidewalk near his home. He was taken home by Peter Gay and Dr. Hatch was summoned. He found a badly sprained knee.

Gen. Joshua L. Chamberlain, hero of many battles in the Civil War, former governor of Maine, and former president of Bowdoin College, died in Portland, Maine, at 85. He was known as the hero of Little Round Top at the battle of Gettysburg.

In an advertisement, John E. Fitzgerald, undertaker and licensed embalmer of Wilton, said he had a lady assistant and said that night calls left at N.J. Quigley’s livery stable would receive prompt attention.

70 years ago, 1944

Miss Mary Smith, daughter of Mrs. Joseph Blood of Mont Vernon, was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps.

For the first time in the Italian campaign, major Allied and German armored forces met on level ground to slug it out, as the great battle for the Anzio beachhead below Rome raged.

In the Pacific, Australian and American forces prepared to lunge northward toward remaining Japanese positions on New Guinea’s eastern coast.

The Tremont Theatre in Nashua was showing “Happy Landing” with Don Ameche and “Stranger from the Pecos” with Johnny Mack Brown, plus the “Bat Man” serial.

An oyster stew supper was given to the boys’ basketball team of Milford high but coach Ray Pomeroy at his home.

Tony Brown and his orchestra were to play at the weekly Hometowners’ dance at Wilton Town Hall.

On Intervale Road in Wilton, Miss Norma Varley, who was learning to operate a truck owned by her father, crashed into a telephone pole about 100 yards from her home. Her mother, Mrs. Gertrude Varley, received a lacerated forehead and abrasions of both knees. Her father said the accident was caused by a spark on his sleeve that distracted his daughter and wife momentarily.

50 years ago, 1964

Nearly 14 inches of snow fell on the region and weather reports said another major storm was on the way. Despite that, Joe Luongo scored a “first” for Milford when he brought a bunch of pussy willows to The Cabinet’s office.

The Lyndeborough Improvement Society voted to have a matching monument placed at the town’s library with the names of the last two wars’ veterans engraved upon them.

Milford firefighters were called to a fire on North River Road near the McLeod Brothers’ migrant labor dormitory where a house trailer, occupied by a McLeod employee, was destroyed. Firemen said that had a high wind been blowing in the other direction, the dormitory buildings would have gone up in flames also.

The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing Jerry Lewis in “Who’s Minding the Store,” with Jill St. John.

More than 400 people jammed into the Wilton High School auditorium to see an amateur show. Winners included Linda Theriault with a double baton twirling act and the Day family with a Hootenanny.

25 years ago, 1989

Ginny Clarke, of Milford, was named the Milford Ambulance Volunteer of the Month for January.

Amherst Town Moderator Robert Schaumann suggested streamlining Town Meeting by eliminating voice votes and adopting a three-minute rule for speakers.

Wilton-Lyndeborough Cooperative High students Jen Wilson and Sarah Taylor, working with their contemporary problems class teacher Eric Yannone, were trying to start a recycling program at the school.

The Milford Area Senior High girls ski team won its 11th straight New Hampshire Interscholastic Athletic Association Division III overall ski title, but the boys team fell short in its quest for a fifth consecutive division crown, placing second to Derryfield.

Vincent Anfuso, of Milford, caught a 7-pound, 5-ounce largemouth bass that measured 24.5 inches in length and was submitting it to the Fish and Game Department’s Trophy Fish Competition.