Milford High basketball team from years gone by

100 years ago, 1914

Building operations at the Endicott Inn in Milford were active because Charles Colby was erecting a new stable and enlarging the old barn.

Three new bowling alleys at Baboosic were ready to open for the season on Milford Street. Besides bowling, the enterprise would offer a line of cigars and tobacco and soft drinks.

The Barnum & Bailey Circus was coming to Manchester.

Waldo Clement, of Newburgh, N.Y., formerly of Milford, won the $50 first prize in a literary contest sponsored by the New York Mail newspaper.

At a meeting of the Milford selectmen, water commissioners and School Board, bids for the municipal coal supply were opened and the contracts awarded to B.R. Came & Sons, which came in with the lowest bid.

70 years ago, 1944

Milford selectmen appointed Miss Georgianna Calderara the overseer of the poor to take the place of the late Leon Junkins.

Melio Riccitelli, Milford hotel manager, pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault on a police officer and was released on $500 bond. He was accused to assaulting Police Chief Brown after he had gone to the police station with the chief following an altercation at the Milford Inn.

Pvt. Charles Zahn was spending a 20-day furlough in Amherst with his aunt, Mrs. Lillian Glover, and in Boston with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Zahn. He was stationed at San Bernardino, Calif.

A party was held at the Wilton Congregational Chapel for three Wilton High School boys who were about to graduate and leave for the service – Theodore Tripp and Joseph Burbee for the Navy, and Fred Wilkinson Jr. for the Army.

Alden Center, of South Lyndeborough, received the highest mark in a chemistry test at Milford High School.

50 years ago, 1964

Milford Police Chief Duane B. Rockwell was concerned about “hot rodding” thorough town and indications were it stemmed as much from spring evenings and boys with cars as from general disrespect for courtesy and the law. “There are entirely too many reports of cars racing, two and sometimes three abreast,” Rockwell told the selectmen.

A seven-room Cape in good condition in Hollis was on sale for $18,200 in an “excellent country location.”

Mr. and Mrs. Chester Harwood and three sons, and Mrs. Rosie Howe, all of South Lyndeborough, enjoyed a weekend at the New York World’s Fair.

Wilton police were looking for the person who fired a rifle shot that broke a hole through the greenhouse at Wilton Gardens, owned by William Bursey, on Route 101 in Wilton. The business was closed at the time.

Maude Adams was planning to celebrate the 25th anniversary as proprietor of the Maude Adams Quality Shop in Wilton.

25 years ago, 1989

A four-town cooperative high school that would have included Amherst, Brookline, Hollis and Mont Vernon was approved by three of the towns, but went nowhere because Hollis voters turned it down.

Chester E. Parker Jr., 17, of Merrimack, was killed when his 1982 Datsun 280ZX left the road on a curve on Baboosic Lake Road in Amherst and struck two trees.

Sarah Ginsberg was named Clubwoman of the Year by the Amherst Junior Women’s Club.

Garrett Trombi and Stephanie Ulicny were named Athletes of the Year at Milford Area Senior High School.

The Amherst Chapter of the High Hopes Foundation of New Hampshire was preparing for its fourth annual balloon festival on Perry Field behind Hitchiner Manufacturing in Milford.