Citizen honored by town of Amherst
Editor’s note: Because many of our old bound volumes of The Cabinet are either missing or in such bad shape as to be unusable, we sometimes have to change how we deliver the old news to you. Recently, we were doing 1914, but the July to December book is unavailable for that year. So, instead, we’re going back to the 19th century.
116 years ago, 1898
Local communities celebrated Independence Day, including Amherst, which dedicated the new pavilion at Baboosic Lake. Guest speaker in Milford was Col. J.A. Greene who drove from the Weirs to town in his four-in-hand (a carriage driven by four horses), taking three days to make the journey.
Members of the South Lyndeborough Baptist Church heard an address on temperance delivered by Mrs. S.L Barton of Boston.
The Spanish-American War was going on and there was a sea battle off Cuba between American and Spanish war ships, clearly won by the Americans.
A terrific tornado of cyclonic features struck a section of Hampton Beach on July 4, causing immense damage to beach property and great loss of life. Several small hotels were wrecked.
The Boston Store opposite the public library in Milford was offering a three-piece knife set for 10 cents.
66 years ago, 1948
Charles W. Leete became the new owner of the Milford Fruit Store on Nashua Street after buying it from Ralph Arrighi.
The Amherst IGA store was selling boneless pot roast for 89 cents a pound. There was also an IGA in Greenville.
The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “Slippy McGee” with Don Barry and Dale Evans, plus “The Stranger from Ponco City” with Smiley Burnette.
The Town Hall Theatre in Wilton was showing “Albuquerque” with Randolph Scott.
Wilton had its own tax service. The telephone number was Wilton 99.
In the semi-finals of the Sacred Heart Parish horseshoe tournament in Wilton, winners in the 8-12 age group were Robert Nadeau and Andrew VanderHeyden.
50 years ago, 1964
Milford’s American Legion baseball team played its first game ever at Pine Valley Park, beating Derry, 7-2.
Mrs. Vernon Wilkins was elected president of the Mont Vernon Home Circle.
New Hampshire Selective Service local boards were planning to begin ordering complete examinations for all 18-year-old males, but it was said they did not face immediate induction into the armed forces.
The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “A Distant Trumpet” with Troy Donahue and Suzanne Pleshette.
Misses Helen and Margaret McGettigan returned to Wilton after a week’s trip to Detroit where they attended the National Home Economics convention.
25 years ago, 1989
The Milford School Board decided to waive rental fees for use of the Jacques School gym for a basketball program sponsored by the Christian Life Church of Milford.
Two dozen people braved heat, humidity and mosquitoes to build a mile-long hiking trail in Milford’s Tucker Brook Town Forest.
Thomas Grella was named Citizen of the Year at Amherst’s July 4 celebration.
David Herlihy Jr. became Amherst’s new fire chief.
The Town Hall Theatre in Wilton was showing “Field of Dreams” and “The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.”
Melissa Frydlo, of Milford, nicknamed Missy, made the Souhegan Valley Indians baseball team, formerly all boys. Coach Bill Dod said she’d get a chance to play.