Throwback to the 1982 W-L softball team
116 years ago, 1899
As Fred Buckley was driving one of the Stevens bakery wagons from East Milford to the village, the connection between the front part and the body of the wagon parted. The horse with the front wheels attached came down to Smith’s mill. Young Buckley received a bruise under the chin.
Harry Gutterson, of South Milford, appeared in the village with a new milk wagon. It was made in Fitchburg and had facilities and improvements.
During a thunderstorm, lightning struck the corn barn of Fred Richardson in Lyndeborough Centre, damaging the building considerably and killing a horse that was more than 30 years old.
A carriage driven by David Heald, who was out driving with his wife and Mrs. Curtis and Mrs. Burns, overturned when he attempted to turn it around. The party was pretty well shaken up while Mr. Heald was somewhat bruised and required the attendance of a physician. He was confined to his home for a few days.
66 years ago, 1949
The quality and quantity of Milford’s water supply were endangered when three high school boys climbed into a filter and tampered with valves at the pumping station on South Street. The Cabinet story did not say if they boys were found or even how it was known that there were three of them.
In an advertisement, the House by the Side of the Road on the Milford-Wilton Road said it was selling hot dogs, hamburgers, fried clams and french fries and was open from 4 p.m.-midnight.
In their semi-annual scrap paper collection, Milford Scouts picked up 19 tons of paper.
The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “The Hideout” with Lloyd Bridges and Adrian Booth, plus “Rose of the Yukon.”
The Town Hall Theater in Wilton was showing “The Sun Comes Up” with Jeanette MacDonald, Lloyd Nolan, and Lassie.
The Wilton Junior Legion baseball team was preparing to take on the Milford Junior Legion in the first league game of the Junior Legion season.
50 years ago, 1965
Years of waiting and hoping, The Cabinet said, were to come to an end with the dedication and opening of Milford’s $65,000 swimming pool at Keyes Memorial Field. Meanwhile, Milford’s old pool, behind the pumping station, was filled in, the fence taken down and the bathhouse demolished.
A record number of students, 123, were to graduate from Milford High School, 17 more than the previous high number set the previous year.
Robert Philbrick, Milford’s Democratic town chairman, and Art Hayward, the Republican town chairman, in a letter to the editor urged “patriotic citizens” to abstain from purchasing goods, sold in local stores, “made by slave labor in communist countries.”
Amherst voters approved construction of a new elementary school, to be named the Harold H. Wilkins Memorial School, at a cost of $547,000.
In an advertisement, the John Birch Society offered an introductory packet to conservatives who sished “to preserve the glorious country and humane civilization which we ourselves inherited.”
24 years ago, 1991
The Milford Farmers’ Market was preparing to open at the American Stage Festival parking lot on Mont Vernon Street. It would be the market’s 12th year.
The Wal-Mart on Route 101A in Amherst was just waiting for final state permits before starting to build.
The Milford Area Senior High School computer team came in 12th out of 75 teams at the Invitational computer All-Star Contest in Houston, Texas. The team members were Karl Voskuil, Julie Weller, Jesse St. Laurent, Eric Garbos, Evan Thomas, and Scot Salmon. Their teacher was Chip Bailey.
Dr. Robert Mackin, the principal of Fox Lane High School in Bedford, N.Y., was the unaimous choice of a screening committee to be the first principal of Souhegan High School in Amherst.