Thumbing the Files

109 years ago, 1906

Grocers’ clerks came to Milford from Nashua to play baseball against a team from the Grand Hotel in Mont Vernon, but the Grand team failed to appear, so a team of past and present Milford players took on the clerks and beat them 42.

Mrs. Walter Woods was confined to her bed in Mont Vernon with a dislo­cated thigh and the hot weather made it hard to bear.

The Church of Our Saviour in Mil­ford got an upgrading that included furniture from the American Seating Co. of Boston consisting of pews, choir stalls and a pulpit. The pews had goth­ic end pieces carved in quatrefoils.

There were 541 bushels of blueber­ries shipped from the South Lyndebor­ough railroad station, with 400 of them shipped inside of four days.

Louis Byard sustained a severe in­jury by getting the toe of his right foot crushed in the elevator at French & Heald’s furniture mill in Milford.

70 years ago, 1945

Charles Donald VonIderstine, bet­ter known as Dutchie, was promoted to ship’s cook second class in the Mer­chant Marine. He was stationed in An­twerp, Belgium.

Suzanne Heald, storekeeper third class in the WAVES, returned to Samp­son Naval Station in New York after a fiveday leave in Milford.

Sgt. Allbon Auston, of Amherst, was in the hospital at Fort Benning, Ga., af­ter an accident when a hand grenade exploded while he held it in his left hand. Thirty stitches were needed to close his wounds and he was expected to be in the hospital for a month.

The Italian government’s council of ministers decreed the death penalty for serious cases of assault and for at­tempts to organize armed bands. The measure was adopted because of an alarming increase in delinquency and acts of violence after 20 years of fas­cism and because the country was still in a state of war.

The Latchis Theater in Milford was showing "The Great Flamarion" with Erich Von Stoheim and Mary Beth Huigs about "a cunning ruthless kill­er plying his murderous trade for the love of a beautiful cheat."

54 years ago, 1961

Guy Draper, known as "Mr. Bowling" of the Souhegan Valley, threw the first ball at Milford’s new Bowlmor Lanes. It was owned by Louis G. Kregos and Vincent Aveni was manager.

Amherst was preparing for its alldivisions tennis tournament at the town courts at Busy Field.

Jocelyn MacDonald, of Wilton, was one of 150 superior students en­rolled for the Summer High School, a cooperative educational experi­ment conducted by the University of New Hampshire and the Oyster River School District. Students attended classes at the Oyster River school and lived in UNH dorms. They studied English, math, science and Frence with the studies going beyond the usual high school level. No credit was given for the courses.

Tilton swimmers competed in a sec­ond swim meet and beat Milford swim­mers, 9670 in Milford.

24 years ago, 1991

With an assist from Milford, Am­herst and Wilton police, Hillsborough County deputy sheriffs arrested 40 people on bench warrants issued by district courts during a sweep of the three towns. Most of the warrants in­volved people who failed to appear in court or failed to pay fines.

The New Hampshire Police Ca­det Training Academy awarded its first scholarship named after John T. Osborn, Jr., the late Amherst police chief.

Mont Vernon Police Chief Mark Schultz and Postmaster Ron Phili­botte were planning to join hundreds of bike riders in the 220mile Pan Mass. Challenge to raise money for cancer research.

Maggie McBrien, 12, of Milford, was one of the youngsters chosen to write a play for Andy’s Summer Playhouse’s Young Playwright’s Festival.

Shannon Claire, of Wilton, and Kim­berly Clemmons, of Milford, were each recipients of $5,000 scholarships from Scarborough & Company.