Thumbing the Files for August 6, 2015

109 years ago, 1906

A.W. Bragg, of Mont Vernon, was ill with bronchitis, laryngitis and heart trouble. At first it was thought to be whooping cough, of which there had been two severe cases in the family, the his doctor declared it not to be. The dogday weather was very hard on sick folks.

The horse belonging to Frank Sar­gent, of Milford, while in the act of kicking off flies from its leg, shook down a blanket over its foot and in at­tempting to extricate the foot, struck against an iron step and broke the step off. The horse’s foot was badly cut.

Mrs. Charles Holt returned to Wilton after spending two weeks in Lyndebor­ough, the guest of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Cummings. After that, she was visiting friends in Boston.

It was rumored that J.S. Pead, of Wilton, was planning a trip around the world.

Moses Fuller, of Lyndeborough, was in Wilton cashing checks to the amount of over $600 that he earned in his berry business, and the season wasn’t even half over.

70 years ago, 1945

Cpl. Sal Cassarino, a veteran of 35 months of overseas duty in the South Pacific, was at the Westover Field in Massachusetts awaiting further or­ders.

Lois Moore, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chester Moore, of Milford, was in New York City and became a witness to a bomber crashing into the Empire State Building. She said they just missed seeing the actual crash, but did see "small fragments flying in the air and the Empire State building was smok­ing. Also a building across the street."

The Latchis Theater in Milford was showing "House of Fear" with Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce and Aubrey Mather.

Pinnacle Grange in Lyndeborough observed Neighbors’ Night with 50 vis­itors present. Rosie Howe and Fanny Jones served refreshments.

54 years ago, 1961

John H. Morison, of Lyndeborough, was appointed Hillsboro County Chairman for the New Hampshire Children’s Aid Society fundraising campaign.

Under a ruling passed by the 1961 session of the state Legislature, it be­came illegal for anyone under 21 to instruct someone on how to drive. Vi­olators could face a fine of up to $50, said Milford Police Chief Duane B. Rockwell.

Ralph Talarico bought Coburn’s Pontiac Garage and was planning to move from his home in Wincester, Mass., to the house next to the garage. He would operate the business under the name Talarico Pontiac Inc.

Wilton fell short of its quota of do­nors when the Bloodmobile visited the town. Roland Brochu, BentBurk American Legion Post commander, was the first donor, and Eli Ruonala and Francis Harwood joined the two gallon club.

The Town Hall Theater in Wilton was showing "Time Bomb" with Curt Jergens and Mylene Demongeot, plus shorts.

24 years ago, 1991

Milford adopted a municipal em­ployee compensation package that set a pay scale and based raises upon per­formance.

Herbert Oliver, principal of Am­herst’s Wilkins School for 16 years, resigned to take a job as principal of Norridgewock Central Elementary School in Maine. As a result, Superin­tendent of Schools Richard Lalley said he would recommend a readinessthrough-grade-four reorganization under one principal and would recom­mend Clark School Principal Linnea Gershenberg for the job.

Paul Chen, swimming for Amherst’s Jasper Valley, hit a personal best in the 100-yard butterfly of 1:12.63 during the Milford Rotary Swim Meet. Jasper Valley took first place in the meet.

Basoonists John Miller and David Carroll were scheduled to open Mo­nadnock Music’s series of concerts at the Pine Hill Waldorf School in Wil­ton.