Thumbing the Files for Feb. 15

75 years ago, 1943

Milford High School was offering an aeronautics class and it had enrolled 22 students. The teacher was Headmaster Frederick W. Snell, who took an aeronautics class at Plymouth Teachers College to prepare for his work with the class.

The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “Hi Neighbor” with Jean Parker, John Archer, Janet Beecher, and Marilyn Hare. The Tremont in Nashua was showing “Cat People” with Simone Simon, plus “Dawn on the Great Divide.”

In Mont Vernon, school was cancelled for a day because of cold weather.

William Whiting, owner of Hampshire Hills Farms in Wilton, left for Michigan where he planned to purchase some cattle.

55 years ago, 1963

Ann Ulricson, daughter of Col. and Mrs. John R. Ulricson of Milford, was named managing editor of “The New Hampshire,” the University of New Hampshire student newspaper. At Milford High School, she was editor of the school newspaper, Spartan Topics.

Miss Elizabeth Hunter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong Hunter of Milford, was chosen as the New Hampshire Daughters of the American Revolution “Good Citizen” of the year at the DAR Pilgrimage in Concord and would receive a $100 Savings Bond and compete for the national DAR Good Citizen award.

The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “Oklahoma” with Gordon MacRae, Gloria Graham, and Shirley Jones.

Margaret Mills of Lyndeborough had the misfortune to fall from a step-ladder while cleaning windows and broke her left arm in two places.

30 years ago, 1988

Vice President George H.W. Bush won the New Hampshire primary among Republicans with 38 percent of the vote, while Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis won the Democratic side with 36 percent.

Milford Town Administrator Lee Mayhew, in a memo to the Board of Selectmen, outlined nearly $800,000 in recommended cuts to the proposed town budget, including a $500,000 cut in the amount earmarked to renovate Town Hall. And he said it might be better, in the long run, to sell the building rather than renovate.

Three Scouts n Amherst Boy Scout Troop 613 received Eagle Awards at a Court of Honor. The Scouts were Steve Slocum, Bo Miller, and Brian O’Rourke.

Wilton Police Chief George Ayres introduced his new officer, Richard Turgeon, to the town’s selectmen.

10 years ago, 2008

The Milford Police Department, led by Chief Fred Douglas, began cracking down on drivers who failed to clear snow off of their vehicles in an effort to avoid accidents from snow and ice flying off roofs.

The fourth ranked Souhegan High School girls basketball team, defeated John Stark 46-41 to advance to the semifinals of the Class I tournament and were slated to face top-seeded Lebanon.

In an editorial, Cabinet Editor Michael Cleveland demanded that Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign pay the $240 it owed the Milford Fire Department for coverage required during a Romney appearance in Milford.

COMMENTS