Merrimack church affiliates with Presbyterians
To the Editor:
The First Congregational Church of Merrimack, N.H., has changed its name to First Church of Merrimack, NH, upon uniting with the Presbytery of New York and New England of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.
First Church was organized in 1771 after our original town inhabitants tried unsuccessfully for several years to organize a church here in Merrimack. Finally in 1771, they were able to secure the settlement of the Rev. Jacob Burnap, and the church was formally established.
Originally, the congregation had been associated with other churches of like faith, but in the last half of the 20th century, for various reasons, the congregation became independent.
At a meeting in May 2014, 94 percent of the members present and voting passed a resolution to unite with the Orthodox Presbyterian Church as a denomination of like Faith and Practice. In this way, the congregation would be able to serve the Body of Christ more fully.
The Faith of the Church is well expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith, a wonderful summary of biblical truths. The authority of the Bible as God’s infallible Word, and the sufficiency of Jesus Christ alone as Savior for all who call upon Him, sums up the most important emphases of the Church and the denomination.
Dr. Allen Tomlinson continues as senior pastor of the congregation, a ministry that began in 1988.
More about the Church can be learned at its website: fccmerrimack.org.
Rae Ann Dopson,
First Church of Merrimack