BG eliminates Bulldogs

NASHUA – For the first time in program history, Bishop Guertin’s field hockey team will be part of the final four.

Sunday night at Stellos Stadium, fourth-seeded Bishop Guertin (11-4) got a little revenge for its spoiled Senior Night festivities and more importantly stayed alive in the Division I tournament with a 3-0 quarterfinal win over fifth-seeded Bedford (9-7).

The Cardinals were forced to play from their own end often in the first half, but solid defense and strong performances by goaltenders Kelly Mahoney (five saves) and Greta Reilly (four saves) kept the Bulldogs at bay.

Guertin’s defense didn’t flinch while the ball was in its own territory, holding off consecutive waves of Bedford offensive attacks on multiple occasions in the first half. Each time they were challenged the Cardinals held form and controlled passing lanes before clearing the ball up field for a counter-attack. One such counter led to BG’s first goal with 3:39 remaining in the first half.

A Bedford turnover in Cardinals’ territory was taken the other way on a breakaway. Bedford’s defense recovered on the play, but the sequence of subsequent plays ended when Olivia Koutsos knocked a rebound into the back of the net off of a penalty corner in the closing moments of the first half. Kate Bradford was credited with the assist on the play.

The second half was all BG, as the Cardinals controlled time of possession with repeated attacks – peppering Bedford goalie Paige Noble (seven saves) with solid chances.

Reilly made an excellent kick save that led to Guertin’s second goal. Her boot gave the Cardinals an opportunity to break downfield, where Heather Camacho’s perfectly-placed pass set up senior captain Erica Chareth for the finishing touch and a 2-0 BG lead with 16:34 remaining.

Camacho wasn’t done yet, eventually setting up Breanna Veilleux for the game’s final goal with a minute remaining.

Kate Bradford, Koutsos, Priscilla Bibeau, Ellie Coltan and Caroline Carey played well in the midfield for the Cardinals, who will face top-seeded Winnacunnet (13-1-1) at 7 p.m. Thursday in the semifinals at Bill Ball Stadium in Exeter. The Warriors advanced after a 3-0 win of its own over ninth-seeded Concord.