Cards rally to beat Broncos

You have to wonder just how many comebacks the Bishop Guertin High School football team has left in it.

The team that everyone has counted out did it again on Saturday. The Cardinals, who won three straight to get into the West Conference title game against Alvirne, rallied from a 9-0 halftime deficit to post a 27-9 win over the Broncos and reach the Division I semis.

“I hope we have two more (comebacks),” Guertin coach Travis Cote said as his 5-5 Cards will now travel to face Bedford next week. “I talked

to them at halftime and told them we just didn’t have that energy we had had the last two weeks. Don’t overthink it, just go out in the second half and play the way you did in the last two weeks. You’ve got to play with heart and passion, because there’s no tomorrow.”

The Cards responded with 27 unanswered second half points, as the Broncos (4-6) disintegrated, turning the ball over five times and managing just 62 yards in the second half. They lost receiver Andrew Stevens late in the first half with a shoulder injury and never recovered, shut out by BG in the final two periods for the second time in two weeks.

“Depth was a factor again,” Alvirne coach Tim Walsh said. “We got worn down a little, bit, had a couple of turnovers, and just the way the game went. But I’m proud of the kids and what they accomplished. … I told the kids they (the Cards) were going to come out full of fire in the second half.”

The Cards got that fire going on their first possession of the second half, a 12-play, 71-yard drive with BG QB Jordan Hiscoe hitting Kyle Cushion on an 18-yard TD pass to help make it 9-7.

Bronco QB Dan Brown fumbled two plays into the next Alvirne possession and BG lineman Joe Goudey, whom Cote said may be the game’s MVP, recovered at the Bronco 30.

That set up the go-ahead scored,a 2-yard Jackson Housman run to help make it 14-9 with 25 seconds left in the third.

“That was huge,” Cote said. “We had to come off the ball better. The first half we didn’t do anything on offense, and they were moving the ball up and down the field on us. The defense had played great for us the last two weeks. In the second half, we were finally getting that feeling back.”

Nearly four minutes into the fourth quarter, Chase Hughes picked off Brown to setp up Hiscoe’s second TD pass of the day, a 19-yarder to Drew Sanborn, helping to make it 21-9 with 7:36 left.

Brown threw one more pick and the Broncos fumbled it twice more and Cushion put the finishing touches on things with a 33-yard run with 1:23 to go.

The Broncos had grabbed a 3-0 lead with Brown’s 21-yard field goal with 1:11 left in the first quarter. They made it 9-0 with 1:07 left in the first half as Brown found George Notini in the corner of the end zone for a 13-yard TD.

“The big change in the game was momentum,” Cushion said. “It just kept going.”