Holiday shopping in Milford Saturday
MILFORD – The Christmas shopping season is in full swing and already some of us are tired of battling traffic and crowded stores. This Saturday it will be easy find some unusual gift items and support local churches and other worthwhile organizations without going far.
The Jingle Downtown Holiday Fair at Jacques Memorial School, for example, benefits Dollars for Scholars and there is a “cookie walk” for the Milford High School music booster. In the same auditorium there will be a fundraiser for the Milford Dog Park, with dog treats, leashes, toys and blankets.
In all, there are about a dozen fairs, most within easy walking distance of each other, in and around the Milford Oval. And there’s no need to leave for food.
At the Unitarian Church craft fair church members will be serving hot breakfasts and lunches, and the SHARE Center fair, down Columbus Avenue from the Milford Ambulance Service, will have seafood and corn chowders and hot dogs and homemade baked goods. At Jacques School, Girl Scouts will be serving breakfast and lunch.
The Milford Winter Farmers Market in the Town Hall Auditorium is also open that day, selling winter vegetables, eggs, meat, goat milk, baked goods, alpaca products, soups, skin care products, coffee and more.
Also on Saturday, there are two fairs in Wilton.
The Pine Hill School holds one of the biggest holdiay fairs around, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with live music, crafts and children’s activities.
The Second Congregational Church in Wilton will hold its annual fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Parish Hall, on Gregg Street, just beyond the Gregg Free Library. A special feature is the kids’ store where no adults are allowed while children shop and wrap gifts from a selection of inexpensive items.
Kathy Cleveland can be reached at 673-3100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: These events are keyed to the map in the photo file.
Milford holiday fairs
1. At Jacques School: Jingle Downtown Holiday Fair – crafts, vendors and decorations. Benefits Souhegan Valley Dollars for Scholars/ Breakfast and lunch will be available from the Girl Scouts.
Milford High School Music Boosters Cookie Walk/Bake Sale. Walk around the tables and select cookies to purchase, and then buy them by the pound. Buy one, a dozen or a platter full.
2. First Congregational Church 37th Annual Holly Berry Fair, on Union Street, 9a.m. – 2 p.m. Festive Christmas homemade delights including preserves and the church’s own maple syrup, fudge and candies, cheese table and cookie walk. Shop for Christmas handicrafts and gift baskets or hand-decorated wreaths and sleds. Enjoy breakfast early or come inside for a hearty lunch. Buy a raffle ticket for the Holly Berry Fair historical quilt. Kids visits with Santa from 10 a.m. -noon.
3. Unitarian Universalist Church Holiday Craft Fair – Holiday Fair & Café at 20 Elm Street, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Hot breakfast & lunch available, handcrafted gifts, ornaments, jewelry, laurel wreaths, baked goods, candy, and jam. Ritzy Boutique has gently used treasures. Children’s singalong and parade with Amy Conley; meet by the piano in the sanctuary at 10 a.m.
4. SHARE Christmas Fair – 1 Columbus Ave 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Festive Annual Christmas Fair will feature handmade crafts, decorations, jewelry, crafts, raffle table, pictures with Santa Claus, lunch with chowders, hot dogs, along with homemade baked goods.
5. Milford Farmers Winter Market – Milford Town Hall Auditorium. Jams, baked goods, goat milk soaps and lotion, sheep pelts, locally grown meat, produce, cheeses, olive oil, poultry, eggs, honey, gluten free, alpaca products, baking mixes and homemade soup. Live Music. 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Call 345-0860.
6. Church of Our Saviour Christmas Fair – 10 Amherst St. Children’s Gingerbread Houses; crèche display, cookie and crafts rooms, Country store with chocolate trees, Cabot cheese and themed baskets, Luncheon Cafe (11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.), Memories of Christmas Past. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
7. St. Patrick Church Fair – 34 Amherst St. Raffles, 50/50, gift baskets, baked goods, chowder, chili, hot dogs, popcorn, and handmade crafts. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. www.saintpatrickmilfordnh.org.
8. Candle sale to benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Souhegan Valley and SHARE, at 25 Meadowbrook Dr, Milford. Nov. 30 – 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Dec. 1- 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
9. Milford United Methodist Church Christmas Fair – 327 North River Road. Handmade ornaments, decorations, wreaths, knit goods, jewelry, fudge, candies, cookies, jams, jellies, canned goods, recipes in a jar, maple products, snack mixes, silent auction table. Breakfast 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., lunch 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Live music. Park here and carpool to other stops. 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
10. Wreaths Around the Wadleigh – 49 Nashua St. Visit the library to bid on one of the wreaths – several with special surprises and gift certificates. Wreaths will be on display and available for bidding from Nov. 24 – Dec 16. www.wadleighlibrary.org
11. Holiday Creative Craft Fair at Art Happens. Gifts, fine art, hand crafted furniture/goods, quilts, journals and books, cosmetics, hand painted glass, jewelry, baked goods, crafts for kids to make and take. Kids one dollar art workshop to create handmade gifts to give. Portion of proceeds go to SHARE Outreach. 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.