Last Rest Cemetery set to expand
MERRIMACK – Last Rest Cemetery was founded by nine gentlemen in 1852 to provide a burial ground in the center of the village of Merrimack. These men intended that once they received their initial investment back, the burial ground would become self-sustaining. Over the next 168 years, the burial ground grew from one acre to more than 14 acres.
The mission that began to provide a burial ground for the town of Merrimack still is in effect today. The LRC is a nonprofit corporation charted by the state of New Hampshire and is not overseen by the town of Merrimack. Rather, it is governed by an independent, volunteer-based, nine-member board supported by a secretary and facility manager.
The state of New Hampshire requires that each town have at least one active burial ground within its boundaries and the LRC helps to fulfill this prerequisite. As a result, the LRC only has approximately five acres available left to expand. The LRC board has approved an expansion of about 1 and ¼ acres to CSSI Construction, which is owned and operated by a local family. The board believes that this improvement will provide the town of Merrimack with enough burial sites for the next 12-15 years.
We ask that families that have burial sites at LRC to be patient during this construction phase. CSSI will try their best to keep any and all disruptions to a minimum. Please use caution when going to the LRC as traffic patterns may be changing.
The board of the LRC would like to thank families in advance for their cooperation. If you would be interested in either making a tax free donation to the LRC or purchasing a burial site, visit LRC at www.lastrestcemetery.org or call 603-424-8136.