Origin of Milford’s ‘Reading Children’ revealed
116 years ago, 1898
Louis Murphy, “one of Milford’s enterprising and esteemed young men,” left for Waltham, Mass., to pursue a course of instruction that will qualify him for the pursuit of business in the line of watchmaking, engraving, and as an optician.”
Under bright skies and a northwest breeze, the excursion train for York Beach took aboard at Milford station 70 Milford citizens to enjoy the pleasures of the beach.
Edward W. Trow, of Mont Vernon, had the misfortune to lose a valuable horse by accident.
It was announced that there would be a special train from Milford to Boston, connecting for Bass Point or Nantasket.
Two parties from Amherst came to Milford and purchased three cows and two calves. They managed to get the creatures as far as the town square, when one cow was so exhausted that she refused to go on. She was placed at Ordway’s stable.
66 years ago, 1948
Only a half inch of rain had fallen in a month and there was concern about a drought in the region.
Public Service installed 33 new street lights on Elm Street as the first step in a plan for better local street lighting.
Hamburger was selling for 69 cents a pound at the Amherst IGA supermarket.
Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Gatto sold their newsstand on the corner of South and Nashua streets in Milford to Deputy Sheriff James Cassidy, of Milford. The name of the newsstand was to be the Milford News Co.
The Town Hall Theatre in Wilton was showing “Green Hell” featuring an all-star cast.
50 years ago, 1964
There was to be no change in the administration of the Milford Department of Public Works, despite the announcement that Superintendent Robert Courage had bought the asphalt driveway business formerly operated by Roy Parker.
The Whalom Park amusement park in Lunenburg, Mass. was open for the season, calling itself “the playground of central New England.”
Mrs. Oscar Burns and Mario Infanti were co-chairmen for the Milford First Congregational Church antique show and sale.
The Latchis Theatre in Milford was showing “The Patsy” with Jerry Lewis.
Wilton officials were wondering if they were dealing with a fire bug after several small fires were set in the woods around town.
Duncan Tocher, jeweler, was doing watch and clock repairing from his shop on Main Street in Wilton.
25 years ago, 1989
Planning Milford’s Labor Day parade were May Gaffney, VFW Auxiliary president, and Harley Sanford VFW Commander Norris Knowles. The theme was to be “Milford Jubilee ’89.”
New Hampshire Right-to-Life formed a Souhegan Valley Chapter, located in Milford. It was headed by Gary and Loreen Daniels.
Amherst Fire Inspector Richard Pauley resigned to become a state fire marshal and investigator.
The Town Hall Theatre in Wilton was showing “Murmur of the Heart” and “Do the Right Thing.”
The American Stage Festival in Milford was set to open “The Rainmaker.”