Missing name of 1921 Milford firefighter
116 years ago, 1898
In a sermon at the Milford Methodist Church, the Rev. Mr. Miller spoke of the insecurity of the Christian position unless fortified with true righteousness.
The Milford Dining Room, in an advertisement, said its bakery wagon would “run about the village every afternoon. A speciality will be baked beans and brown bread on Sunday mornings.”
The water was back in Milford’s Railroad Pond, but it was minus several thousand horned pout which had been captured by ardent fishermen who took advantage of the low water. It was expected to take several years for the pond to be a good fishing ground again.
In Wilton, Ed French sold his driving horse to E.E. Lowe.
The annual meeting for the Wilton chapter of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union was to be held at the Congregational Chapel.
66 years ago, 1948
The body of Cpl. Leroy A. Smith was to arrive in Milford and military services would be conducted by the American Legion and VFW at the town’s Baptist Church. He was killed in France in 1944 and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Smith, of South Milford.
Parker Farms in Wilton was advertising for fall apple pickers.
A surprise birthday party was given for Joseph L. Swiezynski at his home on Maple Street in Milford.
County Stores in Milford was advertising roller skates, a cowhide football, and Rollfast and Columbia bicycles.
The Wilton Industrial Softball League was planning its annual banquet at the Milford Fish and Game clubhouse where the championship trophy would be presented by league President Walter Krook to Lucien LaPonsie, captain of the Machine Shop Quillers.
50 years ago, 1964
“The Computer Takeover” was to be the subject of speakers at the Milford Unitarian Church. Lead speaker was David A. Hoadley, a business executive concerned with the impact of computers in society.
Mason residents breathed easier when they learned from selectmen that permission will not be granted for a public dump in town to receive 800 tons of rubbish a week from Quincy, Mass.
The Amherst tax rate was down 18 cents per $100 of assessed value and officials said it was the number of new dwellings that was responsible for the cut.
The Latchis Theater in Milford was showing Nancy Kwan in “Tamahine,” billed as “a rumpus on campus,” plus “Kartoon Karnival.”
A painting by F. Stanley Hallett, of Wilton Center, was selected for exhibit in the New Hampshire section at the World’s Fair. It showed a woodsy scene of rural New Hampshire.
25 years ago, 1989
In a move to fund a 6 percent cost of living adjustment for county employees, Hillsborough County officials asked towns to share an additional $800,000 appropriation just a week after adopting a $41.1 million budget.
The Milford After-School Program for school-age children in the elementary schools was beginning its fifth year.
Amherst Road Agent Richard Crocker got another town title: He became public works director, too.
The Mont Vernon Cable TV Study Committee unanimously recommended Community TV Corp. Americable, to install cable television in the town.
The American Stage Festival in Milford was putting on “Dracula” with Curzon Dobell as the count.
Chuck Roberson was named coach of the Milford Area Senior High girls’ intramural volleyball team.