×

Merrimack High School’s top 10 seniors for 2018

No. 1 – Sara Wozniak

After four fulfilling years at Merrimack High School, I am very pleased to say that I will be attending North Carolina State University, where I will major in engineering and minor in Chinese. This career choice has been influenced by the many amazing teachers and experiences I’ve had throughout my high school career. Perusing my career goals in the heart of technology will hopefully create many opportunities after college and later in life. I cannot wait to see where the endless possibilities will take the rest of our class and what chances everyone will seek in the future.

No. 2 – Colin Wandell

Hello, my name is Colin Wandell and I am excited to be attending Worcester Polytechnic Institute for a higher education. I will be majoring in chemical engineering, which will combine the aspects of high school that I most enjoyed: science, with a focus in chemistry, and plenty of math. I am very excited to be taking on many future endeavors, like traveling abroad to a foreign country and seeking internships to improve my experience for working in the real world.

No. 3 – Nicole Collins

Throughout her four years at Merrimack High School, Nicole Collins has been given numerous opportunities to grow in her passions as a student. Since she was young, she has loved reading and writing and the influence it can have on others. This affinity for writing along with her natural love of literary works led her to become the president of the Creative Writing Club and editor of the creative writing section of the school newspaper, The Hawk. Nicole’s love of culture was also cultivated during her high school years through foreign language classes, interactions with students from other countries and international associations. Her involvement in National Honor Society, volunteer work at the Merrimack Public Library, as well as her teaching of Sunday school and nursery, enabled her to contribute to her community in a meaningful way. Nicole has been an avid downhill skier and soccer player since she was young and continues to pursue those pastimes. Heading to Houghton College in western New York in the fall to pursue a double major in writing and accounting, her ultimate dream is to become a published writer that can inspire and deliver powerful messages through her words.

No. 4 – Eliza Gustafson

Throughout high school, Eliza has dedicated herself to activities both in and out of the classroom with a schedule full of honors and AP level courses and community involvement. Some of the most rewarding opportunities for service came through her participation in National Honors Society and Interact Club.

She has been honored to be a co-captain of the MHS girls tennis team and serve as president of her youth group. In addition to leadership, music has been a big part of her life. Eliza has sung in the choir and played the organ at church, in addition to studying and practicing the piano for more than ten years. She had the privilege to attend Granite Girls State at Saint Anselm College during the summer between her junior and senior years, where she gained an appreciation for government and politics.

Eliza’s commitment to education along with the support of her friends and family has paid off. She will be attending Brigham Young University in the fall to study French and pursue a degree in the humanities.

No. 5 – Jordan Provencher

Jordan Provencher developed a strong passion for science during his freshmen year, which pushed him to challenge himself in honors and AP level classes in physics, chemistry and mathematics. In the classroom, he is an interested and inquisitive student. Outside of the classroom, Jordan takes part in several extracurricular sports and clubs including cross country, track and field, Science Olympiad and community service groups, such as the National Honor Society and Merrimack Cares. Jordan started participating in school running teams and Science Olympiad in seventh grade, and has enjoyed being captain of both teams his senior year. In three of his four years with MHS Science Olympiad, the team has won the State Championship. This spring, the team is traveling to Colorado to compete in the National Competition. Outside of school, he enjoys spending time and making memories with his best friends. Jordan plans on pursuing a Bachelor of Scince degree in civil engineering at the University of New Hampshire in the fall, and is excited to see where his love for science will take him.

No. 6 – Drew Johnson

Drew Johnson is sixth in the class and will be attending Colgate University next year to study biomedical sciences. He wants to earn his masters there and eventually a doctorate. He’d like to one day be a certified oncologist or cardio-thoracic surgeon and spend his time helping others.

In his free time, he enjoys

volunteering and doing environmental work. He’s part of several clubs at the school including Interact, Science Olympiad and Envirothon.

He’s met so many wonderful, inspiring people throughout high school and believes those relationships were pivotal in reaching the goals he’s achieved. He’d like to thank his friends, family and teachers for an amazing four years at Merrimack high, he couldn’t have done it without them.

7. House, Rachel

Rachel is not only academically involved, but is a varsity cross country, indoor track and outdoor track athlete. She is proud to have been a part of Merrimack’s first ever varsity girls cross country team to qualify for the New England Championships in 2016, and then again in 2017. She is thankful for the close-knit group of friends cross country has provided her and all the support she has received from them for the last four years. A member of the National Honor Society, Rachel volunteers at fundraiser suppers, vacation bible school and other events at St. James United Methodist Church. Rachel is also passionate about art and has enjoyed improving her skills in Merrimack’s art department.

This fall, Rachel will be attending Connecticut College. She will go in as an undecided student and is keeping an open mind to possible majors.

8. Dyer, Madison

Maddie Dyer is an active member of the MHS community and is very grateful for all of the opportunities and experiences she’s had throughout high school. She has especially enjoyed her time spent as chorus president, theatre board vice president and as a member of MHS student government. One of her proudest accomplishments during high school was being a founder and president of Merrimack Cares, the school’s service learning organization. Next fall she will be attending St. John’s University in Queens, N.Y., as an Ozanam Scholar and member of the school’s honors program. Maddie would like to thank her friends, family and teachers for always helping her succeed and challenging her to be the best person she can be. She will miss MHS and everyone in it very much, but Merrimack will always be a part of her.

9. Sawyer, Brianna

My name is Brianna Sawyer and I am extremely proud to have made it to one of the Top 10 of my graduating class. Throughout high school, I have been involved in volleyball, the National Honor Society and also some electives, such as playing trumpet in the band for two years and chorus/chamber choir, where I was one of the chosen to sing in the All State Music Festival Mixed Choir during my Sophomore year. I participated in volleyball all four years and played on Varsity both my junior and senior years. I am tremendously grateful to have received the Tomahawk Award senior year and the Coach’s Award junior year. I was accepted into the National Honor Society as a junior and have enjoyed the wonderful opportunities to participate in the many community service projects because of it. After leaving Merrimack High School, I will be attending Southern New Hampshire University in the fall to study accounting. I plan to partake in their Degree in Three program and attain a master’s degree during my fourth year of college in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting. I then plan to focus on becoming a certified public accountant.

10. Rattunde, Dennis

Dennis is from Munich, Germany, and moved to Merrimack when he was younger. Since then, Dennis has excelled in his academics and athletics. A three sport varsity athlete, Dennis has played soccer, ice hockey and run on the track team. Although earning the “Rookie of the Year” and “Most Improved” awards on the hockey team, soccer has been his favorite sport since he started playing at 4 years old. This past year, Dennis was able to lead the varsity soccer team as a captain and earned the MVP award for playing every minute of every game.

Moving off the soccer fields and out of school, Dennis has served the community not only through his membership with the National Honor Society, but also through his work at Bentley Commons at Bedford. Furthermore, Dennis has become the go-to person for help within his neighborhood.

For the upcoming fall, Dennis will be attending Drexel University in Philadelphia. At Drexel, Dennis is in the Honors College and will be studying mathematics to pursue a career in industry.

Lastly, Dennis would like to thank his friends and family for all of their support and life lessons, but especially his mom and dad, who he will truly miss as he walks the streets of Philadelphia next year.